When you were in foster care, did you ever have to move unexpectedly? Leave school in the middle of a semester? That can really set you back in your education. Fortunately, in California, there are special laws for students in foster care to help make sure that you get your credits, don’t fall behind, and graduate on time.

For example, a law in California called AB 167 says that if you were moved while you were in 11th or 12th grade, and that set you back in your credits, then you and your education rights holder have the right to request that you receive partial credits and an opportunity to graduate.

You will have to meet state requirements instead of school district graduation requirements, and pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) and pass specific classes required by the State of California.

As a young adult in foster care, you have a whole range of education rights, particularly in high school.

Know your rights: School Stability, Enrollment, and High School Graduation Rights of Foster and Probation Youth (PDF).

The Alliance for Children’s Rights can help you. Email youth@kids-alliance.org or call 213.368.6010 to get started.