We all need a break sometimes! When you’re going to school, holding down a job, and taking on adult responsibilities, you need to relax and kick back with friends sometimes. How can you do that and save money? Los Angeles is full of ways to have fun without spending a lot of money. Here are just some examples:
Justice by Uniting in Creative Energy (J.U.i.C.E)
A non-profit weekly hip hop arts program that seeks to develop leadership and technical skills, creative expression and self-confidence through the artistic elements of hip hop which include breakdancing, urban art, dj-ing, emceeing/spoken word and music recording.
Date/Time: Every Saturday from 12-4pm
MacArthur Park Recreation Center 2230 W. 6th St., Los Angeles, 90057
Free for all age groups.
At their FREE sessions every week, you can learn, practice, or just observe and admire the hip-hop arts of graffiti, breaking, DJing & MCing from our talented & dope art facilitators!
Free Outdoor Yoga
Runyon Canyon Park (Hollywood area)
Come equipped with a yoga mat, a towel for sweat, some water and a SMILE.
2001 N Fuller Ave. Los Angeles, California 90046
FREE daily yoga class: 3-5 times a day
Dates/Times: Mon-Sun. 8:45am, 10:30am, and 6pm
Free Archery Classes
To begin the classes, you must take a free Safety Class/Intro Class so try to arrive 30mins early. After you’ve already taken a class, you can shoot on Saturdays from 9:30 am to 12:00 pm and Sundays from 12:00 pm to 3:30 pm. Once you have more experience, Wednesday from 6:30-8pm.
Date/Time: Every Saturday at 11am and the second Sunday of every month at 1:30pm.
Cheviot Hills Recreation Center
2459 Motor Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90064
For all ages
All the equipment you’ll need is for FREE.
Los Angeles Zoo’s Tom Mankiewicz Conservation Carousel, Los Feliz
5333 Zoo Drive Los Angeles, CA 90027 323.644.4200
Admissions to the Zoo: $17 Adults, Children 2-12yrs: $12, under 2: Free
$3 ticket per person to ride the Carousel
Santa Monica Pier Carousel
Ride the carousel, look out over the ocean, and enjoy some ice-cream.
200 Santa Monica Pier?Santa Monica, CA 90401
Hours: Mon-Thurs: 11am – 5pm, Fri-Sun: 11am – 7pm, Closed Wednesday and Tuesday
$2 adults, $1 children
Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round, Carousel
The Merry-Go-Round has 68 horses, each horse is finely craved with jewel-encrusted bridles, detailed draped blankets and decorated with sunflowers and lion’s heads.
4730 Crystal Springs Road Los Angeles, CA 90027
Open weekends and summer weekdays: 11am – 5pm, $2
Art, Cinema, and Music
The Music Center – Active Arts – Sing, Dance, Make Music, and Tell Stories in Downtown LA – low to no cost do-it-yourself programs.
Free events and activities – Dates vary
Dance Downtown –
Learn different dance styles outdoor! No experience necessary.
135 N Grand Ave Los Angeles, CA 90012
FREE performing arts that reflect the best global culture and inspire community among the diverse people of Los Angeles. People from all walks of life come together to share rich moments of cultural awareness, inspiration, introspection, and most importantly celebration.
350 S Grand Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Twilight Concert Series
Free summer concert series at the Santa Monica Pier held Mid July- Mid September
Every Thursday Night, Free Admission
Santa Monica Pier Santa Monica, CA 90401
Street Food Cinema
Summer event series featuring cool outdoor movies, tasty food trucks and live music! (May-Sept. usually held on Saturday Nights)
General Admissions: $12 (Seating is on a first come, first serve basis)
Children ages 6-12: $6 and children under 5 are FREE!
Various locations throughout L.A.
Los Angeles Artwalk
A monthly showcase and celebration of the best galleries, artists, and photography in downtown LA
Date: 2nd Thursday of every month
4th St & Spring St
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Long Beach Artwalk
A street fair to discover local art galleries; enjoy street performances and live music.
Date: 2nd Saturday of every month
Time: 4pm-10pm, Free street parking after 6pm or $5 all day at Elm and Broadway.
Location: 117 Linden Ave, Long Beach, CA
Take time to enjoy the beautiful beaches, especially during the summertime!
Activities may include: Beach volleyball, surfing, swimming, biking, rollerblading, playing ultimate Frisbee, building sand castles, taking a stroll to enjoy the scenery or relax by laying out on the sand and soaking up the sun! *Remember to put on sunblock so you don’t get sunburn.
Locations: Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu, or head further to Manhattan, Hermosa, Marina Del Rey, Hermosa, and Redondo Beaches. Parking: street parking (free or meter) or fees may vary.
Discover the best hikes in Los Angeles County. Hit the trail to improved health as you share a fun activity in the natural world with your friends and family.
Most popular locations:
Griffith Observatory Hike – Los Feliz
Much more than a city park, this urban parkland has numerous trails and historic attractions sprawled over 4,210 acres.
Griffith Park – the Hollywood Sign Hike
A great easy to moderate hike if you are visiting or new in town with great views of the Hollywood sign.
Santa Anita Canyon – Sturtevant Falls, Pasadena
A leisurely hike through an enchanted portion of the San Gabriel Mountains leading to a fifty foot waterfall.
Eaton Canyon – Altadena
A relatively easy less-than-four mile hike to a 40-foot waterfall.
Mount Wilson via Chantry Flats, Pasadena
There are several trails you can take to the top of Mt. Wilson, but this challenging 13- mile loop is the most beautiful.
Will Rogers State Park – Inspirational Point Trail
The trail offers excellent views of the Los Angeles Basin, Santa Monica Bay and the surrounding Santa Monica Mountains.
Sierra Club – Join on hikes and trail outings open to everyone. Check their website for dates and locations
Outings for Families with Kids: Little Hikers and Junior Explorers.
List of the most popular hiking near Los Angeles
Downtown on Ice — (Opens November-January)
This tradition of affordable family fun features a host of FREE events like Lunchtime Concerts, Thursday and Friday Night Concerts, Saturday Youth Program, Sunday Afternoon Concerts, and a Weekend Winter Holiday Festival with snow and “make and take” arts & crafts, championship skating exhibitions, and more. New in 2012, “Mommie & Me Stroller Skate” sessions select Tuesday mornings.
532 South Olive Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90014
$6 per one-hour skate session
$2 for skate rental
LA Kings Holiday Ice at L.A. LIVE — (Opens November-January)
An outdoor ice skating rink in the Nokia Plaza, across the street from STAPLES Center. This 70-by-50 foot rink will accommodate 200 skaters at one time. This family-friendly rink offer more than just skates—from wintry food and drinks to ice tubing and meeting Santa, there’s something for everyone!
General Admissions: $10 includes skate rental. $5 for active military and families and for seniors (prices may vary yearly).
Additional discounts may be available, call for details.
777 Chick Hearn Ct. Los Angeles, CA 90015
Free Museum Days
Many of LA’s top museums open their doors free-of-charge on select days and times. Make sure you take advantage of this wonderful offer! Note: Check museum websites or call for more information and for any potential changes to the days below and parking arrangements.
Annenberg Space for Photography
- 2000 Ave. of the Stars, #1000, Los Angeles 90067
- Free: Wednesday-Friday, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. – 7:30 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Arboretum of Los Angeles County
- 301 N. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, CA 91007
- Free: 3rd Tuesday of the month, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m
Armory Center for the Arts
- 145 North Raymond Ave., Pasadena, CA 91103
- Free: Tuesday-Sunday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m
Autry Museum of Western Heritage
- 4700 Western Heritage Way, Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Free: 2nd Tuesday of the month, check museum for seasonal hours.
- 2002 North Main St., Santa Ana, CA 92706
- Free: First Sunday of the month, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m
California African American Museum
- 600 State Drive. Los Angeles, 90037
- Free: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sunday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
California Science Center
- 700 State Drive. Los Angeles, CA 90037
- Free: Everyday!
Chinese American Museum
- 425 N. Los Angeles Street, Los Angeles, 90012
- Free: Tuesday – Sunday, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Corita Art Center
- 5515 Franklin Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90028
- 323.466.2157 ext. 21
- Free: Everyday! Mon-Fri 9-4pm but closed between 12-1pm and one Saturday a month.
Craft and Folk Art Museum
- 5814 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Free: 1st Wednesday of the month, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
FIDM Museum and Galleries
- 919 South Grand Ave., Suite 250, Los Angeles
- Free: Tuesday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Fowler Museum at UCLA, North Campus
- Free: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. and Thursday, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- 1200 Getty Center Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90049
- Admission is free, parking is $15
Getty Villa in Malibu
- 17985 Pacific Coast Highway
- Pacific Palisades, 90272
- Admission is free, but you must
- Parking is $15
- 2800 East Observatory Road,
- Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Free Admissions
- Weds-Fri. 12pm-10pm, Sat-Sun. 10am-10pm
- *Charges vary to see shows in the Samuel Oschin Planetarium
UCLA Hammer Museum
- 10899 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90024
- Free: Every Thursday
Hollywood Bowl Museum
- 2301 N. Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90078
- Los Angeles CA 90078
- Admissions: Free year-round
- 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA 91108
- Free: 1st Thursday of the month with advance
- tickets, 10:30 a.m – 4:30 p.m.
- Request tickets at 800.838.3006. You may also reserve your tickets online.
Japanese American National Museum
- 100 North Central Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Free: Every Thursday, 5pm-8pm.; 3rd Thursday of the month, 12pm-8pm
Kidspace Children’s Museum Brookside Park
- 480 N. Arroyo Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91103
- Free: Free Family Night -1st Tuesday evening of the month, 4-8 p.m.
Laguna Art Museum
- 307 Cliff Drive, Laguna Beach, CA 92651
- Free: 1st Thursday of the month, 5pm – 9pm along with Laguna Art Walk that is also happening!
LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes
- 501 North Main Street, Los Angeles, 90012
- Free: Wednesday-Monday, 12pm – 7pm
Long Beach Museum of Art
- 2300 E. Ocean Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90803
- Free: Thursday evenings 3-8pm & Every Friday!
L.A. County Museum of Art (LACMA)
- 5905 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 930036
- Free: After 3pm for LA county resident Mon-Fri. and on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
- Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs: 11-5pm, Fri: 11-8pm,
- Sat-Sun. 10am-7pm. Closed on Wednesdays.
- Every Tuesday at 1pm, LACMA screens a Hollywood classic!
- Admission: Tickets: $4 for general admission, $2 seniors (62+) and LACMA members
Los Angeles Fire Museum & Memorial Hollywood Museum
- 1355 N. Cahuenga Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90028
- Free: Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Los Angeles Fire Museum & Memorial Harbor Museum
- 638 Beacon Street, San Pedro, 90731
- Free: Saturday, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
- 250 S. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Free: Every Thursday, 5-8pm
MOCA at the Geffen Contemporary
- 152 North Central Ave, Los Angeles 90013
- Free: Every Thursday evenings 5-8pm
MOCA Pacific Design Center
- 8687 Melrose Ave, West Hollywood, CA 90069
- Free: Tues-Fri. 11am-5pm, Sat-Sun. 11am-6pm
Museum of Latin American Art (MOLAA)
- 628 Alamitos Ave. Long Beach, 90802
- Free: Every Sunday 11am – 5pm
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
- 900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90007
- Free: 1st Tuesday of the month, except July and August. Every Tuesday in September is free 9:30 am -5pm
Norton Simon Museum
- 411 W. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, 91105
- Free: 1st Friday of every month from 6-9pm
Pacific Asia Museum
- 46 N. Los Robles Ave., Pasadena, CA 91101
- Free: 4th Friday of the month, 10am-6pm
Page Museum at La Brea Tar Pits
- 5801 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Free: 1st Tuesday of the month, 9:30am-5pm, except July and August. Every Tuesday in September is free
Paley Center for Media
- 465 North Beverly Drive., Beverly Hills, 90210
- Free: Wednesday – Sunday, 12pm– 5pm
- Library Screening, a 150ft Theater – showing classic TV shows and Art Galleries!
Pasadena Museum of California Art
- 490 East Union Street, Pasadena 91101
- Free: 1st Friday of the month, 12pm – 5pm and every 3rd Thursday of every month from 5-8pm
Santa Monica Museum of Art (SMMoA)
- Bergamot Station G1, 2525 Michigan Ave.
- Santa Monica, CA 90404
- Free: Tuesday-Saturday, 11am – 6pm
Skirball Cultural Center
- 2701 North Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles, 90049
- Free: Every Thursday, 12 pm – 5pm
USC Fisher Gallery
- 823 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90089
- Free: Tuesday – Friday, 12pm – 5pm, Saturday 12-4pm
For a detailed list of ALL activities happening in L.A, visit Experience LA