If you are pregnant or you’ve had a baby and you are in foster care, there are some special programs for you.

If you are in foster care and have a child, your child will not automatically be placed in the foster care system. Your child may only be removed from you if there is suspicion of abuse or neglect. Running away may be considered neglect.

If you are in foster care and you are pregnant or parenting, ask your social worker or your lawyer for a conference with your team to identify your needs and help you find help for you and your baby. You should invite members of your support system to participate; including the baby’s other parent, family members, friends or mentors. You can also get in touch with the Alliance for Children’s Rights for help. Email youth@kids-alliance.org or call 213.368.6010 to get started.

It’s up to you to take care of your baby, but there are lots of programs to help. Start here:

Birth Control

Part of planning your life out includes planning when to become a parent and using birth control to avoid becoming pregnant when you don’t want to. There are many types of birth control to choose from, including some that last up to ten years. Make an appointment to see a doctor and decide on the best option for you.

  • Visit Bedsider to learn about the different types of birth control
  • Visit Planned Parenthood to find out where they are located and make an appointment.

Support for First Time Moms

Teenparent.net has information about everything from pregnancy to your rights as a parent.

The Nurse-Family Partnership Program (NFP) is a free program for first-time moms. A nurse will visit you throughout your pregnancy and until your baby turns two. The nurse can coach and encourage you, prepare you for childbirth, and help you deliver a healthy baby. After your baby is born, they will continue to visit you and help you keep your baby healthy.

Your nurse home visitor will always be there for you, from helping you have a healthy pregnancy, to coaching you on child development, to empowering you to pursue your heart’s desire.” – NFLP

Visit the NFP website.

Note: Referrals to the NFP must be submitted by the 24th week of pregnancy. 

Financial Help

For a complete list of financial help and subsidies for pregnant and parenting young people, visit teenparent.net.

Health and Nutrition

Looking for help making healthy choices for you and your young children? Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a federal government program for pregnant women and new mothers and their children under five. It can help you get healthy food and other services for you and your kids. To get started, visit a WIC office. WIC has local offices all over California. Call 1.888.WIC.WORKS or visit the WIC website to download and print an application form and find the WIC office nearest you.

If you are looking for a clinic for you and your baby then check out this map, which includes L.A. clinics that accept Medi-Cal, offer prenatal & pediatric care, and are members of the Community Clinic Association of Los Angeles County.

Support for fathers

Project Fatherhood and L.A. Fathers offer support, including individual and family counseling, group support, significant others group, therapeutic activities for children, preventing child abuse and neglect and helping fathers to make healthy decisions in relationships.

  • Project Fatherhood: 213.260.7600
  • L.A. Fathers: 323.361.5982

Child care

The Los Angeles County Resource and Referral (R & R) Agencies help provide parents with free or low-cost child care. If you are in foster care, you may be eligible for child care funding through DCFS. Ask your social worker to make a referral to the DCFS child care unit. Either way, you should still get on the Resource and Referral wait list as soon as possible after your baby is born. Call the R & R Hotline at 888.922.4453 to find the agency in your area and get on the wait list for child care.

If you are in foster care and have a child, an Infant Supplement (cash assistance) is paid to your foster care provider to assist with the baby’s financial needs. The baby will have his/her own Medi-Cal coverage. If you are in extended foster care and living in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP), the Infant Supplement will be paid directly to you in addition to the foster care payment.